SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS MENTORING COMES TO TONGA
13 October 2020 – Pacific Trade Invest New Zealand’s recent successful pilot of a new Business Mentoring Programme has been so well received by participants it is now being offered into a second country – Tonga.
The Business Mentoring Programme offers Tongan businesses the opportunity to take part in an intensive 10-week mentorship starting Monday 26 October. The aim of the programme is to propel their businesses from export capable to export ready.
Acting Trade Commissioner Glynis Miller says it speaks to the calibre of the participants and the effectiveness of the programme that it is now being offered in a second country.
“We are thrilled to be able to further extend our support of getting Blue Pacific businesses across the line to being ready to export into New Zealand,” she says.
However, it is not for the faint-hearted with the Trade Commissioner warning, “it is a very intensive ten weeks. The people selected to participate must be 110% committed to the programme and this means work, lots of demanding work. We can help you get there but the effort needs to come from both sides.”
The Business Mentoring Programme is tailored to each participating businesses’ needs. It provides training and support to address any knowledge or skills gaps identified in the business capability assessment completed by participants at the start of the programme.
Gap closure is achieved through one-to-one training and mentorship which covers the disciplines required to be a successful exporter.
Managing Director and Owner of Fijiana Cacao & Adi Chocolate, Tomohito Zukoshi says it has been an immense pleasure so far to have PTI NZ on board to help get our chocolate into NZ market.
“Their broader experiences throughout Pacific Island cultures and passion towards businesses especially the marketing part have helped our ways of planning and setting up the viable way into the New Zealand consumer markets.”
Participant Qualification Criteria
Expressions of interest (EOIs) are invited from the Tongan business communities. Applicants must:
- have a registered business operating in Tonga
- have products that may be suitable for the NZ market
- have production capacity for export sales.
- have the resources to support an exporting business (this relates to money and people)
- be fully motivated to commit the time and effort to complete the programme.
- be able to communicate easily by web conferencing such as Zoom, Skype and telephone.
How to Apply
Completed application forms must reach Pacific Trade Invest New Zealand, by close of business NZ Standard Time (NZST) on Tuesday 20th, October.
Application forms and direct enquiries regarding the Pacific Trade Invest NZ Business Mentoring Programme must be directed to Acting Trade Commissioner Glynis Miller – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful applicants will be notified within five working days.
For media queries please contact:
Marketing & Communications Specialist
022 389 9018
ABOUT PACIFIC TRADE INVEST NZ
- Part of the Pacific Trade Invest Network of offices operating in Sydney, Australia; Beijing, People’s Republic of China; Geneva, Switzerland and Auckland, New Zealand
- An agency of Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat (PIFS) and is funded by New Zealand’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT)
- Supports the 16 Blue Pacific Forum countries: the Cook Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), Fiji, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Republic of the Marshall Islands (Marshall Islands), Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea (PNG), Samoa, the Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu.